Current:Home > StocksMexican officials regret US decision not to retry American rancher in fatal shooting of Mexican man -Capitatum
Mexican officials regret US decision not to retry American rancher in fatal shooting of Mexican man
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 06:36:31
PHOENIX (AP) — Mexico’s top official in the Arizona border town of Nogales said Tuesday his country is displeased that prosecutors in the U.S. won’t retry an American rancher accused of fatally shooting a Mexican man on his property.
Prosecutors had the option to retry George Alan Kelly, 75, or drop the case after the jury deadlocked on a verdict last week and the judge declared a mistrial.
“This seems to us to be a very regrettable decision,” Mexican Consul General Marcos Moreno Baez said of the announcement a day earlier by the Santa Cruz County Attorney Office.
“We will explore other options with the family, including a civil process,” Moreno said, referring to the possibility of a lawsuit.
Kelly had been charged with second-degree murder in the Jan. 30, 2023, shooting of Gabriel Cuen-Buitimea, 48, who lived just south of the border in Nogales, Mexico.
Prosecutors had said Kelly recklessly fired nine shots from an AK-style rifle toward a group of men about 100 yards (90 meters) away on his cattle ranch near the U.S. southern border. Kelly has said he fired warning shots in the air, but argued he didn’t shoot directly at anyone.
Judge Thomas Fink said a hearing would be scheduled later to determine if the case would be dismissed with prejudice, which would mean it couldn’t be brought back to court. No new documents in the case had been posted by midday Tuesday.
Kelly’s defense attorney Brenna Larkin welcomed the decision not to retry her client.
“Mr. Kelly and his wife have been living through a nightmare for over a year, and they can finally rest easy,” said Larkin said Tuesday. “While that injustice to Gabriel and his family is unfortunate, we are at least pleased to know that the injustice will not be compounded by scapegoating an innocent man.”
Larkin said she was “curious about the Mexican government’s continued involvement in this case"" and noted that Cuen-Buitimea had been arrested and deported several times for illegal entry into the U.S.
Moreno said the consulate he heads in Nogales, Arizona, will continue supporting Cuen-Buitimea’s family. Consular officials sat with the victim’s two adult daughters during the trial.
The trial coincided with a U.S. presidential election race that has drawn widespread interest in border security. During it, court officials took jurors to Kelly’s ranch as well as a section of the U.S.-Mexico border.
veryGood! (4996)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Books like ACOTAR: Spicy fantasy books to read after ‘A Court of Thorns and Roses’
- A timeline of events on day of Georgia school shooting
- Colorado man found dead at Grand Canyon is 15th fatality there this year, NPS says
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Americans’ inflation-adjusted incomes rebounded to pre-pandemic levels last year
- James Earl Jones, acclaimed actor and voice of Darth Vader, dies at 93
- MTV VMAs: Riskiest Fashion Moments of All Time
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Americans’ inflation-adjusted incomes rebounded to pre-pandemic levels last year
Ranking
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Nevada GOP politician who ran for state treasurer headed toward trial in fundraising fraud case
- Apple 'Glowtime' event sees iPhone 16, iPhone 16 Pro, Apple Watch unveilings: Recap
- ‘Appalling Figures’: At Least Three Environmental Defenders Killed Per Week in 2023
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- 'Beetlejuice Beetlejuice' has a refreshingly healthy take on grief and death
- A Boeing strike is looking more likely. The union president expects workers to reject contract offer
- ‘I won’t let them drink the water’: The California towns where clean drinking water is out of reach
Recommendation
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Rebecca Cheptegei Case: Ex Accused of Setting Olympian on Fire Dies From Injuries Sustained in Attack
Heidi Klum Reveals Some of the Items Within Her “Sex Closet”
James Earl Jones, acclaimed actor and voice of Darth Vader, dies at 93
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
NFL Week 1 overreactions: Can Jets figure it out? Browns, Bengals in trouble
Illinois man wrongly imprisoned for murder wins $50 million jury award
Black Eyed Peas to debut AI member inspired by 'empress' Taylor Swift at Vegas residency